Tuesday 20 May 2014

SOCIAL STEREOTYPES- WHAT I LEARNT



I learnt that a stereotype is a fixed, over generalized belief about a particular group or class of people. Examples of this may include a homeless man wearing old, dirty and ratty clothes. I also learnt that there are also advantages to stereotypes as I thought overall it was all negative. I learnt that an advantage of stereotypes is that it enables us to respond rapidly to situations because we may have had a similar experience before. However there is also a disadvantage that it is harder for us to recognise individuals. I learnt that by stereotyping we infer that a person has a whole range of characteristics and abilities that we assume all members of that group have. Stereotypes lead to social categorization, which is one of the reasons for people becoming prejudice.

1 comment:

  1. Good work. You seem to have understood the general idea but don't refer to an example of anti-stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete